Thursday, October 31, 2013

Life is Fleeting and Fragile....Treat it That Way

Psalm 39:4

“Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be.

Remind me that my days are numbered—

how fleeting my life is.



No matter how many tragedies, or near tragedies happen, it seems that we will never remember how fleeting and fragile life really is. When a loved one dies, or nearly dies, we remember to hug our children tighter, give our spouses more meaningful, and less dutiful kisses goodbye in the morning. We make more effort to let people know how much we love them. But that is just as fleeting as the life we live. When I received a call that someone whom I love so very dearly is in the hospital in critical condition, and I remember that the conversation I was having was about how a certain picture makes my pores and oil more visible. And I think, SERIOUSLY? Was that my biggest concern yesterday? My less than perfect complexion!! Now, I know that in this life, we have many worries and concerns, all big and small. But maybe we really need to get those worries and concerns in check. Should I really be worried about my face? Or would my worry be better spent on the less than beautiful condition of my heart, or wondering how I can make the best of the time God has given me, and make the most out of every opportunity God gives me to touch some one's life?

Can we ever be so kingdom minded that we do not need to lose, or nearly lose a loved one to love more extravagantly? If something were to happen to me tomorrow, would those close to me know how much I loved them, how much I loved God? Would there be enough evidence in my life that they could say without a shadow of a doubt that I would be in heaven, and not just saying that to give themselves some comfort? Can we ever, without being reminded by tragedy, remember how fleeting life really is, that we have no idea how much longer we will be around on this earth, and the purpose for which we have been placed here? We have been created in the image of God, to be a reflection of him, to be a light in this dark world, to show others the love of Christ which they so desperately need, to point them to our savior. The things that we let bother us are really stupid sometimes. Instead of making a rude comment to someone who is blocking the aisle at the grocery store, show them the love of Christ. Certainly Christ would not make some rude comment about how rude they are blocking the aisle. Instead of glaring at someone who cuts you off in traffic, realize that maybe they are in a hurry, or maybe the concerns in their heart are so big that they just weren't paying attention. Pray for them. We take our family for granted. We get irritated that they didn't clean up after themselves. Or we get angry because they refuse to do things the way we think they should do it. Instead, we should realize how blessed we are to have a family of little mess makers (and big ones too haha) to clean up after, and lovingly teach them the responsibility they need to learn. Forgive those who have wronged you. Let them know they are forgiven, and treat them as though they are forgiven.

Just be different. See people with the eyes of our loving, compassionate savior, who even though he had every right, never judged anyone, but rather loved them, and healed them, forgave them of their sins, and even died for them.

My prayer today is that all of God's people will live a more kingdom focused life. Not a life being lived to gratify the desires of our sinful nature, but a life that is yielded to God, and a desire to seek his will for our lives, not our own. We say we will get better tomorrow, but tomorrow is not promised, to anyone. No matter how healthy you eat, no matter how often you go to the Doctor for physicals, no matter how godly you are, no matter how much you pray for health and protection over your life. We are not in control.

Choose this day whom you will serve .....But as for me and my family, we will serve the Lord (Joshua 24:15) , was not meant to just be words on a wall piece for our homes, but a declaration of who is the Lord of our lives. This scripture is talking about those who choose to serve other gods rather than the living, Almighty God. But we can easily insert those who choose to serve self, family, work, sinful desires, etc.

CHOOSE THIS DAY WHOM YOU WILL SERVE. You might not have the choice tomorrow.

.