Thursday, September 26, 2013

Do Not Be Afraid

Krav Maga is a very difficult, very intense form of self defense. It is non-competitive Martail Arts with no rules, except SAVE YOUR LIFE. This is taught to Israili defense forces. If you have seen the movie "Enough" with JLo, it is what she learns to defend herself from her very abusive husband. Ever since I saw that movie many years ago, I have wanted to learn this. It is a great work out (the first time I went to class, I couldn't walk for about a week without looking like a 10 month pregnant woman) it is pretty fun (we get to flip people), and bottom line....I want to kick some butt if needed. Learning any kind of self defense requires self discipline, and also a change in mind set. Be aware of your surroundings, assess any situation before it actually happens, because if you wait too long, it will be too late.

Am I going somewhere with this? YES, I am.... Tuesday night in class, Sensei warned us, "Thursday's class will be very hard, many of you will be puking. Start hydrating now." Well, that sounds like a lot of fun, doesn't it? For the first time ever, instead of praying for health, i prayed to become sick because I wanted a valid excuse to not go to class tonight. Here I am, still well, not a trace of sickness. I still don't want to go to class. At least he warned us.

Hebrews 12:11 No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Spiritual training is the same thing. It's hard, it is painful, and unpleasant. And we are told ahead of time it will not be easy. We need to be aware of our enemy. We don't have to give him our full attention. But we need to be aware of his attacks on our lives.

Ephesians 6:10-13 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13 Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

When our enemy comes in for an attack, he doesn't warn us. So, we need to strengthen our spiritual muscles, and be prepared in every situation to say NO to any attacks come our way, and fight against them before they become a real threat.

Courage is the key. If I am afraid of any attack, be it spiritual or physical, my chances of winning the battle is not good. I was in Wal-Mart with Angelina a while back, and after a while, it became evident that two men were following us around the store. I was not walking around in any particular order, just going all over the place like a pin ball, and everywhere we went, these men were right behind us. I made frequent eye contact that let them know I noticed them. But when we ended up in the girls clothing, and they ended up there right after us, a very intense anger arose with in me. I looked right at them and lifted my hands up (in sort of a ghetto style defense) and said, "What do you want?" The only reason I had this courage was because I had read this scripture on FB several times that day:
Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

And everytime I began to feel threatened by these men, I was reminded of what I had read all day. God had been equipping me with courage all day. I was able to look the threat right in the face and basically tell it to go away. I never saw them again.

Spiritual attacks are the same. Each one of us know what our own struggle is. Our enemy gets to know us, he knows what vulnerabilities we have. We need to be prepared. We need to be able to detect a threat before it gets a hold of us and have the courage to look sin right in the face and say "Go Away!" The longer we wait to stand up to our enemy, the harder it is to get out of his choke hold. .