Monday, March 5, 2012

Mountain Laurel

What would be your initial reaction if I told you we planted this tree about 3 years ago, and this is the same size it was when we planted it?

You probably wouldn't be very impressed, would you?

Okay, what would you think if I told you this same tree, even though it hasn't grown much (maybe about an inch), has never lost it's leaves. The leaves have always been green, even during freeze.

This plant has withstood every kind of weather. It has remained during drought (it gets watered maybe twice a month) and through freeze. It has stayed constant.
If we were told to compare our faith to a plant, I would want mine to be like this one.

1 Samuel 16:7
But the LORD said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.”

See, we tend to judge people's faith by what we see. I don't just want to appear to have great faith. When the storms come, I want to remain standing. When the drought comes, I don't want to wither. When the winter comes, I want to keep my leaves.

We assumed this tree was not going to make it because it hadn't grown. This will be our 3rd summer with this tree. Last year, I waspleasently surprised by a beautuful flower that had bloomed. This year, we have 2. And these flowers have such a sweet aroma.