Sunday, February 19, 2012

What are your heart's desires?

Psalm 37:4 (NLT)Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you your heart’s desires.

This has become one of my very favorite passages of scripture. The more I understand what it is really saying, the more I love it. When you read that, what do you think? If I love God, he will give me everything I want? That is not what that means. At least not exactly.

If we take a look at our earthly relationships, we may be able to better understand this scripture. When you are single, you have your own wants, your own desires, and ideas. But when you meet someone and fall in love with them, those things change. When I delight in my husband, I want the things he wants, not only the things I want. his desires become my desires. It is only by having a deep, intimate relationship that makes that happen. I am not my own anymore.

To take delight in someone means to give pleasure, or be pleasing to. So when this scripture says "Take delight in the Lord" that means to give God pleasure. And if we have a deep, intimate relationship, and communication with God, our desires become the desires that are pleasing to God. Not the things that I want. This has become my favorite scripture because I have really seen it in action. Over time, and communication with God through prayer, and his word, my desires have changed. I desire things I never would have thought I would desire. And they are not things I desire for my own personal benefit. They are things I desire for HIS kingdom benefit. He had never told me no when I have asked for an opportunity that I knew was a desire he was placing on my heart.

Read what comes after "Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you your hearts desires.":

Psalm 37:5-6 (NLT)Commit everything you do to the LORD. Trust him, and he will help you. He will make your innocence radiate like the dawn, and the justice of your cause will shine like the noonday sun.

When you commit everything you do to the LORD, he takes delight in you.