Monday, January 9, 2012

Taste and See

Psalm 34:8 (NLT)
Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him!

Taste is a funny thing, isn't it? Say someone eats some lasagna and doesn't like it at all. If you have never tried lasagna, and your friend tells you it is awful, are you likely to try it for yourself? Not really. If your friend likes the lasagna, and tells you it is good, you are likely to try it. But does that mean that you will like it also? Maybe, maybe not. Another scenario is the fact that lasagna can be made so many different ways. You may like it cooked one way, but not another. Everyone has different tastes. But our first experience with lasagna, as is with any food, will determine how we feel about that food. If the first time you have it you hate it, you are not likely to try it again, even though you may like it cooked differently.

Everyone has been introduced to God at some point in their lives. Some from the time they were born, othes later in life. From my experience, the way you are introduced to him can leave either a good or bad taste in your mouth.

I always knew God existed. For me his existence was never an option. The problem was I didn't like him very much. I had so many questions about the God I was introduced to, and sadly no one could give me answers. Then, I realized that I needed to get reaquainted with him. I needed to do my own personal studying and prayer to get to know God. Once I found answers to my questions with God's word, not other's opinions, I fell in love with him!! Some of the things I was taught about God were like putting cranberries in my lasagna. They just don't go there. Plain and simple. Bottom line is that some of the things I was taught about God were simply not truth.

What I am trying to encourage is that if you have a bad taste of God in your mouth, get to know him for yourself. Ask someone to help you. Not by giving you their opinions, but by answering your questions through prayer and through God's word.

Taste and see for yourself that God IS good!