Thursday, September 1, 2011

Not I But Christ


Galatians 2:20
My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.




I am reminded of the story of Moses. A man to whom God appears in the form of a burning bush. God tells him he needs to go to Pharoah and tell him to let the Israelites go. "But Lord, I can not speak well. i get tongue tied, and my words get tangled." Then the Lord asked Moses, “Who makes a person’s mouth? Who decides whether people speak or do not speak, hear or do not hear, see or do not see? Is it not I, the Lord? Exodus 4:11




How often do we do the exact same thing as Moses? He tells us to do something and we say, " I can't Lord, I am......" . Fill in the blank. It can be anything.


-I can't go and talk to that lonely person, I am shy.


-I can't go and comfort that hurting person, I never know what to say.


Add anything to the list. I used those because that is usually what I say. What is yours?


"I can't ________because I am/can't______."


It is not God's intention for us to do anything with our own strength.


2 Corinthians 12:7-9
even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud.
Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.


When we take on Christ as our Savior, we are inviting him in our hearts and allowing him to work through us. Nothing we do is on our own.


When you are tempted to say, "I can't____because I_____" , remember that when God calls us to do something, it is Not I but Christ who lives in me. He does the work, we are merely the vessel. So we can say, "I can because if God is telling me to do something, he will equip me."For I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. Phil 4:13.