Thursday, November 12, 2009

More than I can handle

Matthew 11:29-30 (The Message)

"Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."


Suppose you are going to the gym to lift weights. Let's say your body, your muscles can handle 50 pounds. It is still hard, you still get a work out, but you can handle it. Would it be wise to go to the gym one day and decide to lift 100 pounds? It won't be long before you have to get the extra 50 pounds off of your back.

We do that to ourselves. We take on more responsibilities than we are meant to handle. Making the things that need to be responsible hard, sometimes impossible to handle. It isn't until we take the extra weight off our shoulders that we can breathe, move on, and face our responsibilities without getting burnt out.

For the last few months, maybe even few years, I have felt so overwhelmed, and didn't know why. Then, finally, I lost it, to the point that I thought I was mentally ill. Then it occured to me, I am not mentally ill. I have placed the weight of the world on my shoulders. And to shed the extra weight, and be able to focus on the responsibility that God has given me, my family, feels wonderful!!! I thought that there was something wrong with me because things most people would find cute about my children, I dispised. What kind of mother could feel this way? Only a mother who is so bogged down with unnecessary responsibility. I feel so free.

God is so good! He will never give us more than we can handle. But sometimes we can take on more than we can handle. So let go, and let God! Let go of all of your access baggage so you can live the full abundant life we are meant to live!