Thursday, November 5, 2009

housekeeping

When I go to pick my children at 2:00pm, my house is pretty much spotless. Everything has been cleaned, and I actually have the opportunity to rest and relax while Tyler is sleeping. But it never fails. Less than 5 minutes after we walk through the door, it looks like I had been laying on the couch eating bon bons all day watching tv. Even though I have been working my tail off.

Our hearts are the same way. We may clean them out, and get rid of the junk in there, but we have to keep cleaning it out. It doesnt stay that way without effort.

Lamentations 3:22-24 (New Living Translation)

22 The faithful love of the Lord never ends!
His mercies never cease.
23 Great is his faithfulness;
his mercies begin afresh each morning.
24 I say to myself, “The Lord is my inheritance;
therefore, I will hope in him!”

God knew this. He doesnt say, "Okay I forgive you, I will extend mercy to you, but only once." He shows us mercy every single day. And every single day, we need it. Just like our homes have to be cleaned every day. So do our hearts. We want the Lord's home to be clean, don't we? If Jesus lives in our heart, don't you think he would like his home to be cleaned?